Arturia MICROFREAK 25-Key Hybrid Analog Synth micro-freak
A synthesizer like no other, Arturia's MicroFreak is a peculiar, exceptional instrument that rewards the curious musician. It blends wavetable and digital oscillators with analog filters.
It features a unique poly-aftertouch flat keyboard. It adds controlled randomness to sequences. This isn't a revolution, it's a mutiny.
Whether you're looking for your first, affordable hardware synth or are a collector looking for original sounds and unique interface, MicroFreak is the synth you need.
This out-there little music machine features a versatile digital oscillator so you can create rare and interesting sounds with ease. Modes like Wavetable, KarplusStrong, Harmonic OSC, and Superwave give adventurous musicians the chance to explore totally new, unheard possibilities. Like having dozens of synths in just one instrument, both wild-eyed newcomers and seasoned professionals will fall in love with MicroFreak's flexible, powerful synth engine.
MicroFreak packs so much in to such a compact instrument, you'll wonder how we did it. We'd love to say it was magic, but it was pure skill and passion.
Physical modelling, wavetable synthesis, virtual analog, there is nothing as complete and exciting as the MicroFreak oscillator on the market. It's hard to believe from such a small synth, but here it is, ready for you to explore. Excite your creativity and reward your curiosity with a large, diverse sound palette. MicroFreak features 12 awesome oscillators, 5 bespoke Arturia engines, and 7 modes from Mutable Instruments.
Even though MicroFreak has a digital oscillator at its heart, "opposites attract" as the saying goes. That's why we've included a lush-sounding analog filter.
Inspired by the trailblazing 12-dB SEM filter, you can make MicroFreak's filter scream or whisper to taste. The filter is state-variable, and can even auto-oscillate! You can use this is any way you like, from taking the edge of the razor-sharp wavetable sounds, or automating the cutoff by modulating it with keyboard pressure or the in-built sequencer.
Wait. Did we mention that MicroFreak has a sequencer? And a mod matrix? Things are about to get seriously interesting...
MicroFreak is packed with unique, exciting features that let you create music with a fresh perspective.
Record up to four automations, edit notes per step or use the innovative Spice and Dice sequencer functions to find happy accidents. Add randomization to create evolving, original patterns, and virtually rewire and reconfigure its signal chain and controls with the 5x7 modulation matrix. This truly is a budget-friendly synth like no other.
It isn't really even a keyboard. It's a PCB. Super-flat, with no moving parts. Will it track lightning-fast synth solos? You bet. Better than a traditional keyboard, actually.
Will it let you be expressive? Of course, it's not only pressure sensitive, but also offers poly-aftertouch. This means each key can control parameters in a different way depending on how much you touch.
You can also use its USB, MIDI, and CV outputs to control instruments in your DAW and modular synths. This also means that you can also use MicroFreak as a controller to experience polyphonic aftertouch with cutting edge software instrument.
- MicroFreak unit
- Power supply
- Synthesizer with 256 preset slots and 160 factory presets
- 12 Digital oscillators with variable modes, with integrated open source Plaits engine created by Mutable Instruments
- Analog State Variable Filter, 12dB/octave, resonant, Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass
- ADSR envelope
- Cycling Envelope offering two modes: Envelope, LFO
- LFO with Sync: Sine, Tri, Saw, Square, Random, Slew Random
- Modulation matrix with 5 sources and 7 destinations (3 custom destinations)
- Monophonic or Paraphonic modes - Up to 4 voices
- 25-key capacitive keybed with polyphonic aftertouch
- Capacitive touch strip
- Crisp OLED display for editing and parameter values
- Powerful arpeggiator: Up, Order, Random, Pattern modes, Spice & Dice Gate randomizers
- 64-step sequencer: 2 patterns per preset, 4 automation tracks per preset
- CV / Gate / Mod outputs
- USB, Clk and MIDI in and out
- 6.35mm master and 3.5mm headphone output
- Type: Paraphonic Synthesizer
- Sound Engine Type(s): Wavetable Synthesis, Digital Oscillators
- Analog/Digital: Digital with Analog Filter
- Number of Keys: 25
- Yype of Keys: Touch-sensitive Capacitive Keybed, Polyphonic Aftertouch
- Other Controllers: Capacitive Touch Strip
- Polyphony: Monophonic, Paraphonic mode (up to 4 voices)
- Presets: 128 Factory, 64 User Oscillators: 11 x Digital Oscillators (engine type, wave, timbre, shape) LFO: 1 x LFO with Sync (sine, sawtooth, square, triangle, random, slew random)
- Filter: Analog State Variable Filter, 12dB/octave, Lowpass, Bandpass, Highpass Envelope Generator: 1 x ADSR, Cycling Envelope
- Arpeggiator: Up, Order, Random, Pattern modes, Spice/Dice Gate randomizer
- Sequencer: 64-step, 2 patterns per preset
- Audio Outputs: 1 x 1/4" (master out)
- Headphones: 1 x 1/8"
- USB: 1 x Type B
- MIDI I/O: 2 x 1/8" (In/
- Other I/O: CV out, Gate out, Pressure out, Clock in/out
- Features: 5 x 7 Modulation Matrix
- Power Supply: 12V DC 1A power supply (included)
- Height: 2.2"
- Width: 12.5"
- Depth: 9.2"
- Weight: 2.5 lbs.
- Instrument size : 12.2 x 9.2 x 2.2 inches (311 x 233 x 55mm)
- Instrument weight : 2.3 lbs. (1.02 Kg)
There's a little freak inside you, and this instrument will bring it out.
One (1) Year Limited* Warranty on parts and labor
*Limited – No product will be covered by the warranty above if; product is not properly maintained by owner, product is abused or mis-used, product is damaged by accident, serial # (if applicable) is removed or modified or if service is attempted by an unauthorized person or if product is subject to extreme climatic conditions. Normal wear from use is not covered. Note: A bill of sale or some other proof of purchase is required to validate any warranty